NOTE: PHCR-South has merged with other Public Health Commands.
- Technical services are now aligned under Public Health Command-Central (Provisional).
- Fort Gordon district transitioned to Public Health Command-Atlantic (Provisional).
- The information here is provided as a courtesy and may not be up-to-date.
DoD Military Working Dog Veterinary Service (DODMWDVS)
Operates the only Role/Level 4 Veterinary Hospital in the DoD and has unique Joint and Interagency responsibilities.
The LTC Daniel E. Holland Military Working Dog (MWD) Hospital is a one of a kind referral center providing primary and specialty level care as well as worldwide referral and consultative services for all dogs in DoD MWD programs and those of other federal agencies such as the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) dogs undergoing training as part of the National Explosives Detection Canine Team Program.
• Executive Agent oversight and coordination
• MWD welfare, medical care, referral and consultation
• MWD operational and medical research
• Support of Handler, Health Care Provider (HCP), 68T and VCO training both as a training site and proponent of the MWD Handler and HCP Training Packages
• Provides complete veterinary care for up to 1150 dogs kenneled at Lackland Air Force Base and the Lackland/Medina Training Annex
• Hospital capabilities include: endoscopy, laparoscopy, arthroscopy, orthopedic and neurosurgery, rehabilitative care and specialized diagnostic imaging modalities
• Professional staff consists of 14 Veterinarians with advanced training in surgery, radiology, internal medicine, critical care, epidemiology and animal behavior, 6 administrative support personnel, 1 Medical Laboratory Specialist, 24 Registered Veterinary Technicians and Animal Care Specialists
Forms, Regulations, and other documents related to MWD management and care can be found under the Topics & Services' subject of Animal Medicine, Working Animals Resources Materials or in Army Vet- Staff-Working Dog Library (password protected, AKO) on the left side.