Ventilation is considered an engineering control which is found in the middle of the Hierarchy of Controls.
Ventilation is meant to isolate the worker from the hazard when installed and operated properly.
The Army IH Engineering Team helps installations provide a safe and healthy working environment for Soldiers and civilians by providing concept designs, design reviews and ventilation system assessments.
We support all types of occupancies from heavy industrial to medical to office, including facilities for deployed units.
Our team provides engineering support to Industrial Hygienists.
Our recognized experts provide training in ventilation, blueprint reading and design review to installation personnel so they may better to assess designs and manage ventilation systems.
Our engineers also offer expertise in the areas of fire protection and fire code compliance, life safety and Statement of Conditions (SOC) assessments for medical facilities for Joint Commission accreditation.
Ventilation System Assessments
Onsite investigations evaluate and identify problems with ventilation systems and provide recommendations for resolving worker complaints:
- Ventilation systems are assessed to the applicable codes and standards for the operation such as painting booth, welding exhaust system, open surface tank exhaust system, etc. Deficiencies or irregularities found are documented and the customer is provided recommendations to correct them.
- Ventilation systems are assessed to ensure high risk areas such as operating rooms, and isolation rooms are in compliance with applicable codes and standards (e.g. pressurized relationships, air exchange rate, etc.). Deficiencies found are documented and recommendations to correct these deficiencies are provided to the customer.
- Ventilation systems are assessed to applicable codes and standards. Detailed testing to ensure pressure relationships are maintained with surrounding areas during emergency situations, or when equipment changeover occurs. Deficiencies or irregularities found are documents and recommendations to correct these items are provided to the customer.
- Indoor Air Quality
- Performance of HVAC systems are evaluated to comply with the outdoor air requirements stated in ASHRAE 62.1 and the original design documents. Visual inspections of the HVAC systems will be performed and broken equipment will be documented. All deficiencies found are documented and recommendations to correct these deficiencies are provided to the customer.
Industrial ventilation system concept designs save significantly on design costs and assure proper system operation.
Recognized experts offer various ventilation and design review courses customized to fit customer needs:
- Blueprint Reading & Design Review
- Course provides an introduction on techniques used to review engineering design drawings. Codes/standards used for the design of various facility types and spaces are introduced (e.g. vehicle maintenance facilities, firing ranges, batter rooms). Students are given exercises that improve familiarization with blueprints and prepare them to perform design reviews.
- Industrial Ventilation
- The course provides students with the hands-on knowledge required to determine the performance of industrial ventilation systems. Students are introduced to and practice with the equipment used to measure various factors that determine ventilation performance. Codes and standards used to determine ventilation system performance are presented to the students.
New construction or renovation projects are reviewed to identify code violations before costly retrofits are required:
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Paint Spray Operations
- Abrasive Blasting Operations
- Firing Range
- Welding Shops
- Battery Charging Rooms
- Flammable Storage
Design review checklists:
Life Safety Assessments
Onsite evaluations are provided to ensure compliance with National Fire Protection Association code criteria.
Assistance is provided to hospitals in completing parts 2 and 3 of the Statement of Conditions, documentation required for Joint Commission Accreditation
Medical Safety Website
Engineering assistance supports specific IH surveys, ranging from indoor air quality to exposure assessments.
Hospital Ventilation References:
Paint Spray Operations References:
General Industrial Ventilation References: