The main way that HA-MRSA is spread is by healthcare workers' hands, which can be contaminated by touching:
- Patients with MRSA bacteria
- MRSA bacteria on the bodies of hospital personnel
- Devices, items, or environmental surfaces contaminated with body fluids containing MRSA
Standard precautions include:
- Washing hands thoroughly with soap and water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Wearing gloves, masks and gowns
- Handling devices properly
- Handling laundry properly
This icon identifies links to external web sites that will open in a new browser window. See the
External Links Disclaimer
link at the bottom of this page.
Some linked files require specific plug-ins to open. To download plug-ins, see the
File Formats Used on This Site link at the bottom of this page.
CDC: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention