The Performance Triad, composed of Sleep, Activity, and Nutrition will be foundational for Army Medicine's transformation to a System For Health. Health for the Army means we have Soldiers who are fit, ready and resilient. About one-third of life is spent working, another third with family and friends and another third sleeping.
10 Effective Sleep Habits
- Create a quiet, dark, comfortable sleeping environment.
- Use the bedroom only for sleep and sex.
- Stop caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime.
- Don't drink alcohol before bed.
- Get your exercise in by early evening.
- Don't go to bed hungry.
- *Maintain a consistent regular routine that starts with a fixed wake-up time.
- *Get out of bed if you can't sleep.
- *Nap wisely (preferably in the late morning/early afternoon, for 30-60 minutes).
- *Move the bedroom clock to where you cannot see it.
*These sleep hygiene habits are especially critical for those experiencing sleep problems.
CURRENT NEWS ARTICLES
Sleep On it : How Snoozing Strengthens Memories (April 2013) NIH News in Health
When you learn something new, the best way to remember it is to sleep on it. That's because sleeping helps strengthen memories you've formed throughout the day. Read article
Poor Sleep Damages Health (February 25, 2013)
UK reserach study found that a run of poor sleep (fewer than 6 hours a night) can have a potentially profound effect on the internal workings of the body through a dramatic change in activity in many different kinds of genes. Read article
STAND-TO! on Performance TRIAD Sleep (February 13, 2013)
The Army Surgeon General has championed the Performance Triad of Sleep, Activity, and Nutrition to build resilience, improve readiness and enhance the health of the Army family. Read article
Eat to Dream: Study Shows Dietary Nutrients Associated With Certain Sleep Patterns
A new study from the University of Pennsylvania/Perelman School of Medicine shows for the first time that certain nutrients may play an underlying role in short and long sleep duration and that people who report eating a large variety of foods -- an indicator of an overall healthy diet -- had the healthiest sleep patterns. Read article
Coach, teach, and mentor in the areas of Sleep, Activity, and Nutrition with these Performance Triad Counseling Forms (samples) (milBook - restricted access)