The Program Manager is responsible for identifying technically feasible materials and requesting a Toxicity Clearance for use of that material within their program.
Toxicity Clearance requests must include the following information:
- final chemical formulation (handled as proprietary information if required)
- identity and application of new material; identity of material being replaced, if applicable
- reports from manufacturers pertaining to commercial use of the product in the marketplace; material safety data sheets (SDSs
- available human and animal toxicity information
- test data and results on pyrolysis and combustion products, if applicable
The pamphlet and regulations pertaining to Toxicity Clearances are:
Army Regulation 70-1 Army Acquisition Policy
Army Regulation 40-5 Preventive Medicine
AR 40–10 Health Hazard Assessment Program in Support of the Army Acquisition Process
DA Pamphlet 70-3 Army Acquisition Procedures
Toxicity Clearance Request Format
(The request must be on agency letterhead, signed by a Program Manager or above.)
MEMORANDUM FOR Director, Army Public Health Center (MCHB-IP-TEP), 5158 Blackhawk Road, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21010-5403
SUBJECT: Request for Toxicity Clearance For
1. Request a toxicity evaluation and a Toxicity Clearance for ______________________. This material will be used __________________________________________________.
2. Enclosed is the technical information on the product provided by the manufacturer. The manufacturer is _________. The manufacturer address is __________, and the manufacturer POC is name, at phone, email. The POC in this office is name, at commercial phone, DSN phone, email:
For more information or to request a toxicity clearance, please contact us.